Finance PR: Unity Mutual
Covid-19 impacted the way that we, as a nation talk about finances, however this can present new opportunities for brands to discuss when looking at personal finance PR.
As the first wave of Child Trust Funds, introduced by the Labour government back in 2002, matured in their eighteenth year this September, teens up and down the country started to get their hands on their windfalls for the very first time.
One of the leading Child Trust Fund providers, Unity Mutual, wanted to secure national press coverage to grow brand awareness among consumers, and position themselves as a trusted authority on savings for children.
As some teens were potentially sitting on thousands of pounds, Smoking Gun worked with Unity Mutual and its governing trade body, the Association of Financial Mutuals (AFM), to find out what so-called ‘Generation Sensible’ had in mind for their money.
Finance PR: Strategy & Plan
To uncover our news hooks, we surveyed 2,000 UK teens and their parents to find out how they planned to spend the cash.
Our research found that:
- The majority of teens actually wanted to reinvest rather than splash the cash
- 39% of teens had changed how they planned to spend their Child Trust Fund as a result of COVID-19
- 60% of teens felt nervous about having responsibility for the cash
- Only 3% of teens had earmarked the fund for university fees
To ensure our client’s personal finance PR story made the headlines, Smoking Gun also:
- Sent Unity Mutual branded cupcakes out to key target finance journalists with an 18th birthday message
- Sourced and interviewed parent and teen case studies about spending and investment plans
- Pitched Unity Mutual and AFM finance experts for media interviews with our personal finance PR contacts
- Provided tips for teens on what to do with their fund
Results & impact
- 67 pieces of personal finance PR coverage across both national and regional print and online media, including in the Daily Mail, Daily Express, The Times, The Independent, Daily Mirror and This is Money
- A combined potential media reach of more than 855 million
- 50% of media coverage with an expert spokesperson from either Unity Mutual or AFM
- Applications for savings plans increased by 9% during the campaign period