Consumer Product PR: Highclere & Silentnight
Consumer Product PR: Objectives
Silentnight launched its exclusive ‘Highclere Collection’ to align the ‘Britishness’ of the brand with the heritage of Highclere Castle. The consumer product PR launch tied in with the release of the new Downton Abbey film which is set within the iconic castle.
Smoking Gun worked with Silentnight on a campaign to launch the collection to the media and consumers with an exclusive event for home and interiors journalists and a video showcasing the new mattress within the stunning setting of Highclere Castle.
Consumer Product PR: Strategy and Plan
If we know anything about consumer product PR launches it’s to nurture media relations, it’s that journalists love an exclusive experience and this is exactly what we gave them.
We utilised all the splendour of the castle itself to create a truly memorable day. Our invite included a tour of the castle, learning how to dance 1920s style, ‘meet and greet’ with Lady Carnarvon and an introduction to the new mattress collection, with a chance to see one in-situ.
Homes and interior journalists and influencers were the focus, in order to generate product placement coverage and reviews of the event and experience itself.
What we did:
As part of our consumer product PR remit we planned the invitation-only media event, including securing seven top tier journalist and blogger attendees, booking activities for the day
- Attended and managed the event and built on existing media relationships
- Continued conversations with the media following the event to secure product placement coverage
- Organised bed gifting for the attendees to secure further bed review coverage
- Organised competitions in key home interior publications such as Good Housekeeping to target this relevant audience and raise awareness of the new product
- Created a video showcasing the new mattress within Highclere Castle – including multiple edits for media and each social media platform
- Designed an Instagram mosaic featuring the new Highclere Collection and created dedicated webpage and blog content
- Launched social media giveaways of the product and Lady Carnarvon’s new book
- Created on-the-day content across all digital channels to support the media event
Creating an exceptional media and influencer event (according to feedback!), we delivered:
- High quality coverage across key titles including the Sunday Mirror Notebook, Real Homes and House Beautiful
- 100% of coverage included an image of the new product and 75% included a backlink to the product page on the Silentnight website
- A total potential media reach of 771,426
- During launch week, the video was viewed on Facebook 23,000 times
- The overall engagement rate for the launch across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram was 21%, representing significant out-performance against social media’s benchmark 2% engagement rate for brand content
Find out more about our approach to consumer PR here