Paint by Conran: Media Launch
Paint by Conran is a luxury interior paint range that is brand new to the UK market. A collaboration between
esteemed paint manufacturers Master Paintmakers Ltd and Conran and Partners, the range of 96 colours
inspired by British plants and landscapes is the first ever paint range to be launched by Sir Terence Conran.
Smoking Gun PR was tasked with creating a high impact media event that would put Paint by Conran on the
pages of the UK’s leading homes and interiors pages. Quality over quantity was key to the brief to ensure coverage
reached out specifically to potential purchasers.
- Launch the Paint by Conran range to national consumer media and interior bloggers
- Focus on hardworking media relations to drive product placement and brand awareness at launch
- Ensure at least one of the brand’s key messages were included in media coverage
- Achieve coverage in a top 12 target media list within the first 12 weeks from launch
Strategy & Plan
With such a special story to tell, the launch strategy focused explicitly on generating high quality
product placement and interviews.
In order to create the sense of occasion that the launch deserved and to unveil the range to our key
media titles, we held an exclusive media lunch at The Boundary Hotel (which is co-owned by Sir Terence Conran).
At 82, we were aware that Sir Terence Conran was unable to fulfil a full schedule of media interviews
and personal appearances and were granted limited access to him. We decided to use one of his available
dates to attend the media lunch, giving it additional kudos for our invitees. He also agreed to give an
opening address, speaking about his personal passion for paint and the range.
Aware that Paint by Conran was very much an aspirational lifestyle product, and not wanting to overlook
wider homes and interiors titles, a further second tier list of homes and interiors contacts was generated to
secure coverage following the initial launch push.
The UK’s most influential interior bloggers were also targeted with a personalised mailer featuring paint pot
samples, an artists paint brush, product information and a hand written card, as a second wave of media relations activity.
Measurement & Evaluation
We measured success on the campaign based on number of media hits in key, target media, key message
communication, use of Paint by Conran branded images, number of opportunities to see which have been
created and cost per eyeballs reached.
- 35 total pieces of media coverage have been achieved in the 12 weeks since the official launch date, including 31 national print and online
- 94% of media coverage includes at least one product image
- Total OTS is 23,084,657
- Key messaging:
- 100% of the coverage includes at least one key message
- 69% of the coverage includes ‘British made’
- 54% of the coverage includes ‘high quality’
- 17% of the coverage includes ‘handcrafted’
- 19 pieces of coverage have been achieved in our tier one media titles – all media top tier media have covered the Paint by Conran range at least once, many of these titles now contact us monthly for colour samples and quotes.