Consumer PR: Silentnight Breakfast in bed… at the intu Trafford Centre
Britain’s leading sleep expert, Silentnight, was launching its first brand showroom at the
intu Trafford Centre in Smoking Gun’s hometown of Manchester. We needed to drive awareness
about the event for our Consumer PR client, so this is what we did.
Our client asked us to fulfil the following objectives:
- Drive sales in line with the company’s first six-week projections
- Launch the new store to customers within a 60-minute drive time
- Secure a minimum of 10 pieces of regional consumer coverage; 350,000 social reach; and 1,000 social engagements
- Gain one stand-out piece of national coverage
- Capture 200 email addresses from Greater Manchester residents for remarketing purposes
Strategy & Plan
To ensure we met those goals, we planned a three-pronged campaign.
Firstly, a partnership was secured with Trinity Mirror, which would raise awareness and help with data capture.
We then fronted the launch with Phil Spencer, a well-known TV personality and host of Location, Location, Location.
A competition was run for people to enjoy breakfast in bed with Phil at the showroom, and win a brand new Silentnight
bed,giving us opportunity to showcase the client’s products.
Phil’s appearance was also promoted through preview footage, with bedding products sent to regional radio to help spread the word.
Contacting key media, we offered PR and social media opportunities pre, during, and post-consumer launch event.
We also created social content on Facebook and Twitter, which are Silentnight’s core brand channels. Finally, we
enhanced the reach of these assets through further partnerships with highly visible third parties, such as
MEN and intu Trafford Centre.
We used geo-targeting for this to ensure location accuracy.
At the event the competition winner was filmed enjoying breakfast in bed, ‘mummy bloggers’ got to take ‘five with Phil’
for comments and quotes. Photos were taken of our celebrity testing beds and posing with one of the brand’s mascots, Hippo.
Social updates were issued via Facebook Live and Periscope throughout the day,
with further images taken of families with Hippo and fellow furry friend, Duck, during which cuddly toys were given away.
Measurement & Evaluation
We measured the success of the campaign based on our initial brief, and ongoing
figures over the following six weeks to ensure we could show sales impact.
We significantly exceeded requirements as follows:
- Full page interviews in Daily Express Saturday supplement and Express online
- 26 pieces of national regional consumer coverage, including front page in the MEN, and hits in Lancashire Telegraph, Bolton News, Wigan Evening Post, and Bury Times
- Backlinks for all online coverage to the brand website
- Combined social reach of 2,515,297 across Facebook and Twitter
- Notable tweets from Phil Spencer (169,000 followers) and MEN’s Dianne Bourne (9,000 followers)
Read more about our influencer marketing agency approach