Making Healthcare Accessible with Testcard
When the founders of TestCard first met to discuss plans to develop an at-home UTI test kit and app, they could’ve scarcely imagined its immediate surge in relevance.
The award-winning medtech enterprise launched its non-invasive, at-home test kits, that turn smartphone cameras into clinical grade scanners, back in the autumn of 2020, amid the backdrop of the coronavirus pandemic.
Even since before the Covid outbreak, the way in which people accessed healthcare was changing. Throw a global pandemic into the equation, and the digital shift was accelerated further.
With the NHS focused on fighting Covid, and with fears of catching the virus in hospitals rife among the public, many decided to take their health into their own hands, testing for conditions like UTIs at home.
Smoking Gun worked with TestCard on a press office, social, and media relations programme to drive coverage of the product launch in consumer and relevant healthcare trade press, profile the brand founders, and offer targeted, knowledgeable advice to consumers on their intimate health.
Strategy and Plan
Research insights tell us there is still an element of embarrassment attached to UTIs, with people often preferring to simply ignore their symptoms rather than seek professional help.
Smoking Gun worked with TestCard to identify this trend, and generate timely, targeted media coverage to promote the benefits of taking control of your own health with TestCard’s at-home test kit and app.
- Targeted national health and lifestyle journalists to secure product placement coverage
- Pitched expert insight from TestCard’s health buffs to bust common UTI myths in women’s consumer magazines
- Worked closely with industry trade press to raise the profile of the brand and its founders among potential investors
- Worked with lifestyle bloggers to create UGC with TestCard kits
Results and impact
Despite the challenges of the pandemic, we delivered:
- 44 pieces of media coverage in national and regional consumer and trade publications, across both print and online
- Coverage across national print and online titles including The Sun, Metro, Daily Express, Daily Telegraph and Daily Mirror
- Coverage in women’s consumer/lifestyle magazines, including Chat, Pick Me Up, My Weekly, That’s Life, New, Stylist, Woman, Notebook and Prima
- Interviews for TestCard founders with business press including the Yorkshire Post and Business Desk
- Coverage in healthcare trade press such as Mobi Health News, P3, Pharmiweb and Medtech Innovation News
- A combined potential media reach of more than 131 million since July 2020
- An uplift in product sales following national media coverage in the Sunday People, Mirror and Express
More than half (54%) of online coverage with a link back to the TestCard website